The Western Canadian Children’s Heart Network was established to link expertise between the five Pediatric Cardiac Centres and improve inter-provincial cooperation and partnership. The WCCHN spans more than 4-million square kilometers and serves a population of over 11 million. Pediatric Cardiac Surgical services are regionalized at two of the Network’s five centres, BC Children’s Hospital in Vancouver and Stollery Children’s Hospital in Edmonton.
The core function of the Network is to coordinate and integrate care for Pediatric Cardiac Patients across the Western Canadian provinces. The Network encourages cooperation in education and clinical practice, supports research efforts, and advocates for the continual improvement of pediatric cardiac care services across the four western provinces. Collaboration among the WCCHN partners ensures that pediatric cardiac patients in Western Canada have access to the highest standard of pediatric cardiac care.
- Facilitates access to care for all patients in Western Canada
- Collaboration on complex patient cases
- Benchmarking outcomes
- Standardized data collection and processing to promote quality care
- Clinical program resource sharing
- Traveling specialists
- Regular meetings with reviews of data and plans
- Facilitate and support multi-centre research activities for the entire team