The Stollery Children’s Hospital is committed to meeting the ever-changing needs of cardiac children and their families in an environment that integrates excellence in the delivery of care, education, and research. Staffed by highly skilled professionals from around the world, the Stollery Children’s Hospital is well-recognized for the specialized pediatric cardiac health services they provide.
The Stollery is a full-service pediatric hospital with both a unique physical design and patient care approach. It is committed to providing children with the best health care available and dedicated to offering a family-centred environment for its patients and their families.
The Stollery Children’s Hospital is a Western Canadian Centre for pediatric cardiac surgery and a national leader in organ transplantation, with a referral base of more than 1.7 million. Children from Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and in some selected cases, British Columbia, Northwestern Ontario, the Yukon Territories, and Atlantic Canada, travel to Edmonton for heart surgery.
The Edmonton based pediatric cardiology clinic sees approximately 4800 patients per year – this includes children seen in outreach clinics held in Northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories. Approximately 600-700 pediatric cardiac surgeries and procedures are performed each year at this site. In addition, approximately 200 cardiac catheterizations, including interventional procedures occur.
Caring for children with heart disease can encompass a child’s life from the prenatal diagnosis through to early adulthood. The multidisciplinary team works together to provide complete care to the children and their families while in hospital while working collaboratively with other health care professionals at the referral sites and in the community.
Our program works collaboratively with other teams and programs within the hospital, including:
- a 16 bed Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PCICU)
- two Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICU)
- a 27 bed Pediatric Cardiac Inpatient Unit (4C) including an Intermediate Care Environment (ICE Room)
- Outpatient Clinics
- Outreach Clinics
- Outreach Fetal Echos
- Fetal and Neonatal Echo/Cardiology
- Full Echo Service with 3D Echo
- Electrophysiology Service: Full EP and Ablation, Device Implantation – Pacemaker/CRT-D
- Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiac Cath
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Heart Transplantation
- Inpatient and outpatient VAD Services
- Adult Congenital Services
- MRI/CT Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesia
- Pediatric Heart Function and Cardiomyopathy Service
- Pre-Admission Clinic